We are one year into our CCS journey, and we are so thankful for the community we have found here. How can that be after only one year? Well, I’m glad you asked! Let me explain. My husband and I both went to Christian schools growing up. (In fact, we met in high school and have been dating ever since!) However, we both agree that other than meeting one another, our experiences at our schools were less than ideal. So what, at the core, is different? Both schools have “Christian” in the name! Both have great hopes, intentions, and expectations for their students. Both have great people: teachers, parents, students, etc. Both have a Christian education and worldview.
So why do we feel so blessed by CCS? And why do we see such a stark contrast? The reason is simple, yet so profound: CCS focuses on heart/soul discipleship, not merely behavior modification. It is a godly community with a focus on making disciples of Christ and sending them out into the larger community. This work of nurturing souls, shaping minds, and counseling hearts that is being done at CCS starts in kindergarten, then goes on to impact one’s life, one’s future vocation and family, and most importantly, one’s walk with Christ.
In one year alone, I can say that I have partners at CCS who desire to:
- Lead by example
- Care for sinners
- Teach with love
- Call for change
- Encourage excellence
CCS does these things all for a greater purpose: in hope that the children who walk the halls will live for God and for His glory, encouraging, inspiring, and leading others to do the same.
This kind of work is awe-inspiring and humbling. Why? Because it is exactly what Christ asks us to do. He asks us to go and make disciples in Matthew 28:19-20. The teachers, administrators, and staff at CCS disciple our kids every day by speaking truth in love and living out the Gospel—to which our children have front row seats!
I appreciate how the CCS community shows love in big and small ways, such as…
- When the Dean greets your child at the door with a huge smile and a high five;
- When your daughter’s teacher counsels her about humility of heart like that of Christ and helps her know how to do this as a five year old;
- When you find yourself excited to run into another CCS family that you don’t even know at the park or the post office, because there is a sense that we are on the same page for our families;
- How the teachers partner with us to guide our children and help them navigate school, life, friends, and heart issues!
At CCS students will get a great classical education that will prepare them for college and beyond. But the best part is that CCS provides this excellence in education while focusing on eternal priorities:
- At CCS they will learn to read, while being encouraged to read the ultimate Book;
- At CCS they will learn to think for themselves, while being encouraged to think biblically, wisely and in a manner that is Christ-like;
- At CCS they will learn to speak and debate, while being encouraged to do so with grace and love for the hearers in order to win their souls for Christ!
So yes, we are grateful for this school, and we expect to become even more grateful as the years go by.